I don’t know about your Nor’easter, but my Nor’easter dumps a lot of snow! But it’s so lovely. When I go out in the middle of it to feed the birds (those little flying mosquito-eaters), I shovel a bit.
“What?” you exclaim. “You shovel in the middle of the storm?”
Of course I do. Now, in the middle of the storm. Why ? Let me count the ways.
Snow Shoveling 101: Shoveling During A Storm – Lesson 2
10 Reasons for Snow Shoveling During A Storm
- The snow is not as deep now, so the shovel loads are lighter.
- You get a full body exercise now, and at the end of the storm.
- Your metabolism gets revved up for a day of working on your latest book, while being snowed in. Burn those calories!
- You spend a few moments in nature and feel her awesome power, a very humbling experience.
- At the end of the storm, the snow will not be as deep where you shoveled before, so the shovel loads will be lighter… and create less strain on your heart if you are not used to exercise.
- You will be fitting in two workouts today, one now, and one when the storm is over.
- Instead of your kids viewing Mother Nature’s awesome power through the window like they were watching a video game, you can introduce them to it personally. Hand them a shovel. (Instant Quality Family Time)
- Increasing movement (i.e., shoveling) increases the amount of lubrication to your joints.
- Exertion causes your lymph to move, which will rid your body of waste faster.
- You will sleep more soundly after exercising.
10 Problems With Shoveling During A Storm
- You have no boots, gloves, hats, scarves, winter coats or shovels. You’re excused from shoveling, but you are not off the hook. Put on some fun music and dance around until someone comes to dig you out.
- According to Newton’s concept of inertia, a body at rest will stay at rest unless acted on by an outside force. Hence, the weather is creating the following attitude: “I don’t wanna go outside… >>insert appropriate whiny tone<<
- Your hat, scarf, mittens, coat, pants, socks and books will get all wet. C’mon! That’s what the back of the kitchen chair is for. Plus, leaving snow-crusted clothing out to dry will add moisture into the indoor air. (That’s actually a benefit.)
- You will feel compelled to have a cup of hot chocolate afterwards. (Note to self: Move 3+4 to “Benefits”)
- You are stuck underneath a heavy piece of furniture. In that case, you’re excused from shoveling.
- You are an extremely old or extremely ill individual. You,too, are excused from shoveling.
Nothing’s coming to me. I think you are going to have to make up the rest of the problems yourself.
So, we are agreed. Go shovel early in the storm. Come back inside, and for the next 6-8 hours, alternately rest up, and dance around and wiggle. Then gather the family for a second round of shoveling. For more information, check out Lesson 1!
What’s your shoveling strategy?
Segments of this article appeared in my blog, Merry Meddling, last year. With the snow we’ve been getting, it seemed like a good idea to resurrect it. For more quirky posts, sign up for my blog and/or newsletter.