Is your family getting more cranky than usual? Does everybody want to stay in their pajamas and skip brushing their teeth?
These are classic signs that your family is in the doldrums. It’s time to shake things up a bit with a family project.
Yes, “How To Keep Your Daughter From Slamming the Door” isn’t officially out yet, but I thought I’d grab a couple of cool ideas from it to share with you. These projects are guaranteed to inject new energy into your lethargic family!
- Create a graphic novel. You will need an artist, a writer, a designer, and an organizer.
- Spray paint or mow the lawn like a chessboard layout, and then gather the neighborhood for a game of chess/checkers where people are the playing pieces. Not your game? How about Chutes and Ladders or Monopoly?
- Conduct a Scavenger Hunt around town, focusing the clues around a theme (like Summer Movies, Twilight series, Harry Potter, Avengers, X-Men… you get the idea). Or set up a Reading Scavenger Hunt using your favorite books.
- Try Geo-Dashing , Geo-Caching, Letter-Boxing, Orienteering, Flashlight Tag, or Scavenger Hunting. Many states have competitions that anyone can join. Some activities allow you to go at your own pace, while others have deadlines. It’s your choice.
- String lights across a volleyball net for VAD (Volleyball After Dark). Put glow sticks in water-filled plastic bottles for nighttime lawn bowling in the dark. Pair that up with some fruit grilled over a campfire for a perfect event.
Take pictures!!!! Sharing a past event visually stimulates your happy hormones. Now, that’s a gift that keeps on giving.
What other unusual ideas can you come up with? If they are new to me, who knows? Your idea may appear in a future post!
Here’s a great resource for more ideas: https://www.weareteachers.com/meaningful-earth-day-activities/
If you enjoyed this article, please share with anyone who would benefit. Since this article came out, “How To Keep Your Daughter From Slamming the Door,” is available for purchase here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089B67ZJN