What are you doing March 25 at 8:30pm? That’s Earth Hour, you know, the event when the world shuts off the non-essentials for an hour in statement of solidarity in support of our planet.
When we lived in a house, we simply shut off the entire building. An hour was too short a time to affect our refrigerated food, and we were able to lower our electric bill in the process. A win-win for us and a win-win for our Earth.
Boost Your Parenting By Saving the Planet Together
I try to remind people about Earth Hour every year because it’s a great time for a family activity with your kids, and without the distraction of electronics!
- Invite the neighbors over for a campfire.
- Play games by candlelight (charades, cards games, board games, trivial pursuit, etc.)
- Act out a scene from a favorite Disney movie.
- Mold clay sculptures in the dark.
- Fill plastic water bottles with water and drop a glow stick in them. Set the plastic bottles up on the lawn for some nighttime bowling.
- Get star charts and blankets, and spend the evening identifying constellations and planets.
- Read aloud by firelight.
- Meet your friends and go for a nighttime hike in the neighborhood.
- Hold a Best Joke contest. Come prepared with ten of your funniest, and prepare to laugh.
- Attend an evening yoga or tai chi session under the stars.
The possibilities are endless. To find out more, visit https://www.earthhour.org/what-is-earth-hour
How are you going to spend Earth Hour 2023?